DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 01:46   #121
tpreitzel

Here's Peter's reply

"Tom,
Nice to read you again and thanks for the flowers.
I am not anymore in the business for DRM radios as the market is down except in India. But I cannot compete with Indian manufacturers from Europe.
To give you an idea what the development of a DRM radio will cost, I give you the figures for the DR212 which I intended to bring to the market a few years ago: 0,5 Million $US.
Nobody was willing to invest and this was the end for.
Sorry but I cannot help.
Best
Peter"

Thanks, Peter, for your objective comments. All of us supporters of DRM greatly appreciate your personal effort to bring reliable DRM receivers to market and for your leadership at the DRM Consortium.

Would it be possible to crowdfund $500,000? Raising that amount of money would certainly require both technical expertise and proper design, probably portable. Quality ASSURANCE would have to be excellent as well to raise the money and development probably from either Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, or an European country. Personally, I think the attempt should be made as I see nothing on the market currently or in the immediate future that would compete with a well-designed, portable DRM radio.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 09-11-2018 at 02:09.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 22:41   #122
Aetheradio

Tom, thanks for posting the update, we seem to be out of options for now.

For the possibility of a crowdfunded project, if it were to be a portable radio form, youd probably end up with a TitusII lookalike and I doubt it could be made any cheaper or to work any better than what is promised with that model. Youd need someone with the RF and design skills as well as software, maybe Android based because that OS has xHe-AAC codec as mandatory now.

One radio project I've seen come to completion that delivered some of what they promised:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...th-vna-and-gps
It can be done but the best of intentions and skills can take a lot of time and funding to make it.
Similar projects here :
https://hackaday.io/projects?tag=SDR

I dont have the skills or resources do do a project. My career is installing and maintaining transmitters and my hobby is developing the best broadcast radio systems and educating the governments, broadcasters and consumer radio manufacturers to enable an improved future for the medium.

The whole consumer radio experience seems to be changing from unrelated forces: MF-AM sites closing due to cost and real estate pressure, introduction of mutiplexing (DAB or DTT) to drill the transmission costs and quality down, IP streaming so the ISP and cellular providers can monetise from the listener who pays for the last mile delivery.

Another change is with vehicles being built with integrated audio which is not compatible with aftermarket 'DIN' receivers and the problems with EVs being rolled out without workable radios
https://swling.com/blog/2018/11/wsj-...cars-dont-mix/

In most countries the regulator prescribes what the allowable transmission standards are and the broadcasters decide which way they will deploy. Radio manufacturers decide which modes to include based on what they think they know about the market. At the moment only India has a future with DRM until others start specifying that capability for their products.

Ralph
Aetheradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 00:39   #123
tpreitzel

Ralph,

I largely agree with your good summary of the current state of DRM. As you posted awhile back, the only viable DRM receiver option at the moment just might be some automotive DRM receiver. Who's manufacturing all those DRM receivers for those production Hyundais in India and where can we get one? I wonder if any of those automotive DRM receivers are capable of receiving or being modified to receive shortwave. Personally, I'd like to have one for the sake of experimentation even if it lacks shortwave. Unless the current commercial market for DRM shortwave radios brightens fairly quickly, I'm willing to bet that the solution to the lack of good quality DRM receivers in the home will come from some kludge as a result of experimentation. I just feel it in my bones. This current situation won't stand for much longer despite the past twenty years. Somebody, probably a couple of individuals at most, WILL break this market wide open and will reap the financial reward.

As far as shortwave in the car, I certainly wish either the designer or someone else would take the shortwave receiver on carshortwaveradio.com and add DRM to it. Yes, I know about the objections ... Let me make this point about the BST-1. It is designed to be portable, i.e. mobile or removed from a mobile, so why not include DRM for use inside an electrically quieter environment like a home, if necessary? LoL I just overruled the designer's objection to DRM with a bit of obvious logic.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 13-11-2018 at 01:01.
Old 18-11-2018, 18:57   #124
tpreitzel

Obvious logic indeed!

I like this initiative from Starwaves of Germany, the "Truckbox or Carbox"! I need further information. The price isn't too much of an obstacle, but rather the quality and performance. I don't want a receiver that can't take punishment from natural sources which is why I will continue to use CC's SDR-4+ as it is simply bulletproof and works with hamlib and other software for GNU/Linux.

http://www.starwaves.de/truckbox.html

Last edited by tpreitzel : 18-11-2018 at 19:11.
Old 18-11-2018, 19:30   #125
tpreitzel

Alokesh,

I'd still appreciate your periodic updating of the firmware from Gospell for the GR-216 on a freely accessible website. Currently, my GR-216 doesn't work at all with DRM after the last update which was obviously due to Gospell alone. I sincerely appreciate having access to those updates regardless of their functionality. Although my GR-216's hardware is obviously broken, I still need those updates in the hope, maybe in vain, that my GR-216 might eventually work at least partially. I'm obviously looking for a different and much better shortwave DRM receiver.
Old 18-11-2018, 22:06   #126
Aetheradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Obvious logic indeed!

I like this initiative from Starwaves of Germany, the "Truckbox or Carbox"! I need further information. The price isn't too much of an obstacle, but rather the quality and performance. I don't want a receiver that can't take punishment from natural sources which is why I will continue to use CC's SDR-4+ as it is simply bulletproof and works with hamlib and other software for GNU/Linux.

http://www.starwaves.de/truckbox.html
Info on the Starwaves is somewhat dated.
http://www.starwaves.de/milestones.html
It would need to decode xHE-AAC and DRM+to be worthy of a look, doubtful.
I had hopes for the GR-227 but the RF and software performance is unkown and its been a year now without going to market.
Because I had planned to buy a Suzuki vehicle I was contemplating getting the India region OEM radio installed However I'm now more likely to get an EV which wont have that possibility. I will continue with my Icom706 / built in IF conversion and try an Android based decoder.
Ralph
Old 19-11-2018, 21:05   #127
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheradio
Info on the Starwaves is somewhat dated.
http://www.starwaves.de/milestones.html
Ralph

OK, thanks. I keep hearing from the DRM Consortium about a German company producing a DRM receiver and this unit is probably the one. Milestones can turn into millenastones. We'll see. I still like what Starwaves proposed, but proposals tend to evaporate with the best of intentions.

I just checked my electronic mail and didn't receive a response in this era of instant communications so Starwaves' proposals are probably DOA... too bad as I would likely have purchased their Carbox. I don't need shortwave radio in a car UNLESS it includes DRM.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 19-11-2018 at 21:25.
Old 21-11-2018, 04:59   #128
Aetheradio

I wrote to Starwaves in 2011 when they started selling the Carbox. I think it will still be available. I forgot it includes DAB;

"Thanks for your email. At the moment the CarBox with DRM/AM 0.15-30MHz and DABIII/L is the only product that we can offer. We are planning a DRM/DRM+ product but that will be probably without DAB as the markets that we are now focussing on are not interested in DAB.

Btw there is no DRM+ <30MHz – DRM+ is the extension of DRM >30MHz. At the moment there are no transmissions on DRM+ and receivers will not be available before 2012. We do not concentrate on IBOC at all as we believe it will not be deployed anywhere else than USA which is not our target market.

Why don’t you buy a CarBox at Thiecom and appreciate the beautiful DRM reception – at the moment there is nothing better on the market than this product.

Kind regards,

Johannes von Weyssenhoff | STARWAVES GmbH
Old 21-11-2018, 15:24   #129
tpreitzel

Since NOBODY, i.e. none of the digital SW broadcasters, are using the xHE-AAC codec, I wonder if the Carbox is still for sale? I'll probably buy one if available. I'll do some checking, but if anyone else has more information, please post it here.

Many, MANY times, a product is just released at the wrong time, e.g. Newstar's DR-111. CDNSE should have continued to refine the DR-111 while waiting for the upcoming release of the xHE-AAC codec. Until 2022, NOW is the time to release xHE-AAC products. By 2025, a new version of the AAC codec will likely be released. Whoever possesses Starwaves' designs should update them NOW to include xHE-AAC and release those updated products within the next couple of years at most.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 21-11-2018 at 21:45.