DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21-01-2006, 20:16   #61
radiomann

Quote:
Originally posted by dk8cb

It is exactly there, where you chose to post it.
I already wondered what your post here was about until I got a mail from Simone (thanks!), in which she told me that you had posted it in the 5875 kHz thread.

I didn't say that I always get over 99%, I said "regularly". If you look at my 9470 kHz reports, you will see that reception is mostly in that range with the exception of days with technical problems in the transmitted signal. Yes, some improvement is still needed in this regard but I have already said that.
And regarding interference from CRI's wideband transmission, which is actually carried out from Cerrik, Albania, it is my opinion that something should be done via the HFCC organisation since CRI has registered this transmission there. I guess all members of HFCC should adhere to international standards which include restricting HF broadcasts to the standard +/-5 kHz bandwidth.

But this is no fault of the DRM system, it only demonstrates that some administrative tasks have to be carried out as well, as I have also written in a post above. But even with interference from CRI, my results on 9470 kHz are mostly over 99% decoded audio.

And currently, I am enjoying very good reception of BBC WS on 1296 kHz.

Roland

Fair enough Roland, I just don't like being accussed of making negative remarks, maybe it doesn't work well for me because of the area I live or I have a poor antenna, your results in general are very good and hope you keep getiing good results, I will say no more on the matter.

Paul
radiomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 12:17   #62
DRM-OM

only for enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk8cb
I have been a listener to the BBC WS on AM for many, many years since the age of about 14
the same with me (and that's for 25years now) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk8cb
and I have never had such a good audio quality and such enjoyable reception as I do now, so for me, DRM is something which made me listen more than ever before and a technological improvement which I won't miss.
that's true, but only if it works.

Good service has been on 12095 and 15070 AM for years also, with no dropouts, but occasional selective fading.
From what I know from the weekends BBC seems to be very good during the day, but outside of working time: nothing that brings me to believe that DRM is a good thing.
Many dropouts on 1296 (where I listened to in the past in AM with no problems, as I mentioned in a different threat before), no alternative frequency, so please keep that 648 in AM!!!
Deutsche Welle in the evening: the same: either poor sound quality or dropouts.
1440, as mentioned above: useless (but clear signal in AM).

Most of the members of this forum are very technically minded and some have a long history of listening to international broadcasting.
These people, of course, know about ionosphere etc. and can cope with it. But DRM's aim is "to bring the AM-bands back to the masses", this won't work as long as there is no reliable coverage throughout the day.

Conclusion: local and regional services: o.k., but not for long distance with a commercial background.

Last edited by DRM-OM : 18-04-2006 at 13:05.
DRM-OM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 16:42   #63
dk8cb
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-OM
the same with me (and that's for 25years now) ...

about a decade more with me ...

Quote:
Good service has been on 12095 and 15070 AM for years also, with no dropouts, but occasional selective fading.

Those were the days. 15070 kHz was my favourite for years and I never understood why it was abandoned altogether. I guess the signal on 15070 kHz came from Cyprus but I don't know for sure.
But one could get often get BBC WS on 9410, 12095 and 15070 kHz simultaneously although they mostly mentioned 5975 and a 41 m band frequency (both of which never worked so well) as the main frequencies for my area.

But then after many years of excellent reception on the aforementioned frequencies, audio quality got worse when a new audio feed satellite distribution system came into use about 10 years ago. Nowadays audio quality on BBC WS AM is still bad and can't cope with what I was used to over those many years.
This makes me believe that the BBC thinks we should not really listen to their shortwave AM services anymore but instead use the internet (not so good quality actually) or put up a satellite dish and listen on Hotbird.
The fact that the BBC has also stopped AM transmissions to North America almost completely is another sign of this kind of policy.

Quote:
From what I know from the weekends BBC seems to be very good during the day,...
Yes, indeed. We have arrived at a point where the percentage of decoded audio is often not limited by propagation but by technical problems at the transmitter sites, but I must admit that reliability has improved over the course of the last year.

The lack of a reliable BBC DRM service in the evening, at least for southern Germany and also for Southern Europe as a whole, still remains a problem. 1296 kHz is nice and I listen a lot but results vary and sometimes, when the percentage of decoded audio drops to around 90%, dropouts become really annoying. DRM transmissions from Cyprus should perhaps work in the evening but there don't seem to be any attempts do put such transmissions into service.

Roland
dk8cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 12:27   #64
markp
DRM Good to go

Here's an interesting, US-centric perspective from Harry Helms's blog.

http://futureofradio.typepad.com/the...drm/index.html
Old 19-05-2006, 14:19   #65
FritzWue

MOBILE RECEPTION

Sorry, but Mr. Helms seems to have a very limited horizon when discussing DRM on shortwave.
I would like him to take seat in my car and drive around a lot like I have to do every day in my job.
Then he would also realize the advantages of listening to international broadcasters with the latest news and discussions in good audio quality.
In real life this works with DRM on shortwave.
He may also try to get these programs in the car via satellite, but with geostationary satellites this will not work in central europe, and something like Sirius isn't cheaper and more reliable either.
Podcasting (yesterday's news) and streaming (outside town?) are no alternatives.
Old 01-06-2006, 23:14   #66
DRM-OM

Hi Fritz,

Answer to your post

some german language info pages on DRM
Old 02-06-2006, 13:29   #67
richard

Satellite radio would be great if there was a worldwide standard. As it is there are a number of competing systems each requiring separate pieces of equipment to receive. If international broadcasters want to encourage such a system they should agree on a worldwide standard, like with DRM, and also find ways financing its provision through bodies like the EU or by renting space from commercial operators.

In Europe the media markets are quite different in individual countries so I guess there would not be much demand for a commercial pan European satellite service, given the cost. In individual countries much of the extra demand for channels can be met through digital terrestrial broadcasting anyway.

Richard
richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 19:01   #68
DRM-OM

But there seems to be some development upcoming...

Viatis / Worldspace
Ondas
EMAP

however, a similar venture called "Global Radio" never came to reality, the only thing you could see was a website (which has also disappeared in the meantime)
Article

Last edited by DRM-OM : 02-06-2006 at 19:09.
Old 19-07-2006, 16:27   #69
mitajohn

Continental Electronics' Mina Named Chairman of USA DRM

Hi all,

Continental Electronics' Mina Named Chairman of USA DRM. More in the following link, from RADIO magazine's Digital Radio Update : http://beradio.com/digital_radio_upd...071906/#contin

John.
mitajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 18:50   #70
FritzWue

Not my point and not directly about DRM, but interesting thoughts:
http://www.hear2.com/2005/05/the_premature_d.html
Old 25-12-2006, 18:40   #71
tedex

It really is an unfortunate situation. Here in the US, HD radio is just now taking off, barely. Radios are still, at cheapest, $100, and the stations araen't offering much of interest on the HD-2 channels.

DRM could be an entirely new revenue stream for broadcasters if the 26Mhz band were to be used here. IF manufacturers would understand that with the advent of streaming audio, home theater PC, iPods, etc., people are worn out on $250 solutions to listen to music or whatever. If a sub $100 multi-format clock radio were available and IF broadcasters commit to creating something of interest, then the medium is viable. Otherwise, here in the US, DRM will die, HD will remain boring and we will just have to wait for the next flash in the pan technology to come along.
tedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 21:07   #72
tedex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedex
It really is an unfortunate situation. Here in the US, HD radio is just now taking off, barely. Radios are still, at cheapest, $100, and the stations araen't offering much of interest on the HD-2 channels.

DRM could be an entirely new revenue stream for broadcasters if the 26Mhz band were to be used here. IF manufacturers would understand that with the advent of streaming audio, home theater PC, iPods, etc., people are worn out on $250 solutions to listen to music or whatever. If a sub $100 multi-format clock radio were available and IF broadcasters commit to creating something of interest, then the medium is viable. Otherwise, here in the US, DRM will die, HD will remain boring and we will just have to wait for the next flash in the pan technology to come along.

interesting that the last post prior to mine was in July. That is the level of interest in DRM.
Old 25-12-2006, 21:29   #73
tedex

case in point. If I am unable to successfully receive a DRM broadcast originating less than 2500 miles away, using a 30 ft. antenna, digital radio and PC to decode, then what hope has the average Joe Consumer?
Old 26-12-2006, 14:27   #74
fibber

Successful DRM Reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedex
case in point. If I am unable to successfully receive a DRM broadcast originating less than 2500 miles away, using a 30 ft. antenna, digital radio and PC to decode, then what hope has the average Joe Consumer?

I'd come closer to thinking that your soundcard has problems. You are in a perfectly good place to copy the RNW Montsinery transmission. If you aren't gettin 99%+ audio on most days via that broadcast, perhaps your soundcard is not ideal for DRM. Look at the logs for this station. I know from the activity here (DRMRX) and on DRMNA that folks are in Nevada, Arizona and Georgia are able to get 99% or better on almost a daily basis.

Consumer uptake of DRM will be slow at best. Too many other things taking people's interest. Look at analog shortwave. Effectively dead in the USA and has been for 20 years or more. Standalone radios will help, but they will need to be DRM/HD/FM RDS and they oughta make them XM/Siruis compatible too.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the most devoted North American DRM boosters, but I'm not sure how much hope I have of it being a household name. I'd settle for decent standalone radios and a handful of signals aimed at us (I guess we have this second item already).

I run 4 soundcards here and each works with varying degrees of success on DRM. See if you can find a Telex P-500 USB on ebay or somewhere. Some of these little USB sound interface devices work very well. The same I5XWW IF board you bought has yielded me over 34dB SNR with my FT-817.

Regards,
Christopher / K6FIB

Elad FDM-S1, HCJB Pappradio, Newstar DR111.
DReaM, DRM Software Radio.
JTV680 Vertical, 80M 1/2 Wave Dipole.

Christopher - "Fibber" - K6FIB
Salem, Oregon, USA
44.901951 -123.048109
CN84lv

DRM in North America? Join DRMNA!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/drmna
or read the blog http://www.drmna.info
fibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 19:07   #75
DRM-OM

services still closing down ...

DRM doesn't seem to change station managers mind about the future of international broadcasting ...

Radio Japan cutting down language services