DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 20:10   #1
tpreitzel

DRM Receivers

I'm starting this thread for standalone DRM receivers since we're close to mass production of them.

1. Newstar DR111
2. Newstar DR212
3. Avion AV-DR-1401

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByy...ature=youtu.be

We'll see if these current receivers can maintain production in light of impending competition.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 20-12-2014 at 22:46.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 21:44   #2
tpreitzel

From Peter Senger on my willingness to purchase a unit from a new production of Newstar's DR111 with the xHE-AAC codec:

"Thanks for your confirmation to take the DR111 receiver once we have reached the minimum order quantity/MOQ.
I am happy to inform you that we have upgraded the receiver to the highest standard DRM has had so far, please see attached flyer with all technical details.
The other good news is that we keep the price as in the first offer.
If all goes well we will reach the MOQ soon and I will come back to you then."

Last edited by tpreitzel : 17-04-2014 at 21:46.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56   #3
tpreitzel

Interesting chart by Peter showing geographical distribution of interest in Newstar's receivers. However, we need NUMBERS to accurately assess the current interest.

http://www.pfs-digitalradio.de/app/d...385/DRM+RX.pdf
Old 02-10-2014, 21:09   #4
tpreitzel

Apparently, CDNSE's website has returned. I haven't checked my e-mail in nearly a month so I'm unsure if Peter Senger is still managing orders for CDNSE or not. I'll check when I have more time. CDNSE is still proceeding with both the DR111 and DR212, though, which is a good indicator for the future of DRM.

iBroadcast looks interesting ...

Last edited by tpreitzel : 02-10-2014 at 21:13.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15   #5
G0SVN
Administrator

CDNSE Website

Yes I notice yesterday that the CDNSE website is back on line again http://www.cdnse.com/ so that is good news.

I had an email from Peter Senger on the 23rd September 2014 and I quote from it.........

"I will put you on my list for ordering DR212 but have to inform you because of low feedback that it looks at the moment like the order will not take place. We have to small orders to start production! Please consider if we get sufficient orders the whole process still needs 12 months before the radios are delivered.........I donít know but it looks for that they are giving up the whole DRM-Radio business if nobody is ordering radios"

I hope Peter does not mind me quoting his email.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43   #6
Mikey

Looks as though the best way to get a cheap DRM receive is via dongles. The RTL is averaging around £40 on ebay. Not used it myself so cannot review it. But the Funcube Pro Plus that I use costs £150 and works ok with the various free SDR software and Dream. The only thing you will need is an antenna.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:10   #7
tpreitzel

Neil,

Thanks for quoting Peter's remarks. We'll just have to continue playing a waiting game with DRM on shortwave. I'm still optimistic and fully expect CDNSE's receivers to enter mass production at some point as competition lowers cost and expands the market.

Broadcasters also need to seriously deploy DRM with the xHE-AAC codec on shortwave as well by using robust configurations. On MW and FM, the xHE-AAC codec isn't really necessary.

The consumer is waiting. If manufacturers expect consumers to buy, then they and the broadcasters must first show them a capable digital receiver in action on the shortwave bands under varying conditions. But you already know this information.
Old 04-10-2014, 14:00   #8
Linux-DRM

I am still holding out hope on a mainstream multi standard car radio to hit the market as this is the only way that I think DRM is realistically going to take hold.
The Radioscape RS500 module did OK but my Carbox/Truckbox packed in about 3 months after getting it, although my Morphy Richards is still going strong.
Maybe NXP will have better luck.
I do worry that DRM will lose out to satellite radio on the car platform in Europe though.

My BMW has the 49m band SW on it, which works 'OK', I would love to see new cars being sold with full shortwave AM & DRM integrated using the NXP module.

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 08:36   #9
G0SVN
Administrator

AV-DR-1401

Found some more information about the AV-DR-1401 on their website see link below.

http://www.avionelectronics.in/digit...o-2248521.html
Old 14-10-2014, 09:38   #10
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0SVN
Found some more information about the AV-DR-1401 on their website see link below.

http://www.avionelectronics.in/digit...o-2248521.html

Apparently, the LCD's resolution is smaller than first reported. Anyway, 320x240 pixels are still sufficient if the specifications are accurate.
Old 14-10-2014, 09:43   #11
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux-DRM
I do worry that DRM will lose out to satellite radio on the car platform in Europe though.

The main reason that Sirius/XM is still kicking in automobiles in the USA is due to steep discounts upon renewal of the service. Most car owners would drop satellite radio if they had to pay the normal price for an annual subscription.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 14-10-2014 at 09:45.
Old 15-10-2014, 02:01   #12
Linux-DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
The main reason that Sirius/XM is still kicking in automobiles in the USA is due to steep discounts upon renewal of the service. Most car owners would drop satellite radio if they had to pay the normal price for an annual subscription.

I find it odd people pay to listen to radio albeit via satellite, I think the only way this would work in Europe (et al) is via advert based stations like terrestrial FM/DAB broadcasts, making the listener pay to listen sounds bonkers.
FTA radio is the way to go, I would have thought car manufacturers would be very reluctant to install pay as you go/subscription based satellite radios in their cars.

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 22:45   #13
tpreitzel

The new Avion DR-1401 is expected to be available for purchase next month, January of 2015 ...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/5909
Old 20-12-2014, 23:13   #14
G0SVN
Administrator

Avion DR-1401

Hi TP,

Thanks for the information, it will be good to see a new receiver available, I wonder how much it will cost?
Old 20-12-2014, 23:35   #15
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0SVN
I wonder how much it will cost?

You're up late (early actually) this weekend, Neil ... You're not alone, though. Because the developers of ALSA no longer release a separate package for just the drivers, I literally had to upgrade my kernel, configure and recompile it just to update the audio driver for the Xonar DG ... Then my nVidia video driver needed patching for the new kernel, 3.18.1, which led to another hour ... I spent ~ 6 HOURS for the whole process which would have consumed only 30 minutes if ALSA's developers continued to release a separate package for their ALSA drivers. I won't go into the gory details, but it was 3 AM on Saturday morning when I finally went to sleep....

I don't know. Hopefully, a retail price will become available before January so people can plan.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 21-12-2014 at 01:15.