DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22-12-2014, 04:08   #16
tpreitzel

I received a short note from Peter Senger regarding the currently insufficient order of less than 5000 units which are needed to put the DR212 into production. Peter remains optimistic and suggested that some potentially large buyers are waiting for Avion's DR-1401 to be available before deciding which manufacturer to choose.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 22-12-2014 at 04:10.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:36   #17
tpreitzel

Now that the DR-1401 was demonstrated at BES, when and where can Avion's new receiver be purchased? Although I plan to wait a bit, I'm sure other parties would like one right away, like Robinson of KVOH for example?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drmorg...57647982844293

We need some new digital shortwave broadcasts with the xHE-AAC (USAC) codec to fully demonstrate the capability and reliability of DRM. Apparently, the initial version of the DR-1401 doesn't support USAC, though, which is a flaw in design if true. NO receiver due to be released in 2015 should exclude the USAC codec.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 20-01-2015 at 23:16.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:45   #18
tpreitzel

Maybe, Peter Senger should try crowd-funding a DRM receiver on Kickstarter. CDNSE constantly yaps about needing 5000 units. Yes, assembly line production is expensive, but maybe a compromise is possible. Try allowing input from the public on the design of a new DRM receiver via a crowd-funded project. CDNSE has the engineering and production capability to execute such a project. Would such a project on Kickstarter raise publicity enough to make production of a DRM receiver viable?

For example, AM stereo (AMAX) receivers aren't widely available either. Maybe, both analog and digital technologies could be combined in a low-cost unit. Two potentially large markets, Japan and the USA still allow broadcasting in C-QuAM AM stereo. Even if no stations were broadcasting AM stereo in a listener's area, at least the listener could hear AM stations on a high quality receiver which would help significantly to revitalize the MW band. Allow input into the design which crowd-funding will encourage.

Maybe, you don't think younger folks want to listen to the MW band so it won't be much of an incentive to include AM stereo in a digital receiver? Well, ask Jake, a 1990s' kid, for his opinion ...

"The second takeaway here is that AM, even not in stereo, CAN sound good! I’m just befuddled that radio manufactures aren’t putting the effort into the AM receivers as they are the FM ones. And the fact of the matter is if AM radio is to be saved (which is a TOTALLY different discussion altogether), the receivers need to sound good. Go back and listen to the RadioShark cuts. That’s how most AM tuners sound… bad. And with a bunch of 90’s kids like me becoming all grown up now (well, “grown up” is up for debate), fixing the new receivers be the only way to get some life back into AM."

http://www.jakebechtold.com/my-lates...ion-am-stereo/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 21-01-2015 at 10:56.
Old 07-05-2015, 21:09   #19
tpreitzel

Avion DR-1401,

Where art thou?

Personally, it's an encouraging sign that Avion hasn't released the DR-1401 yet as it didn't use the newer xHE-AAC (USAC) firmware. Thus far, Global24's existence hasn't totally been in vain as its launch clearly demonstrated the ongoing popularity of shortwave. From that pool of listeners alone, clearly a market exists for several thousand DRM receivers with the USAC codec.
Old 16-07-2015, 21:28   #20
tpreitzel

Allegedly, Avion's new receiver will decode xHE-AAC. Allegedly, we'll soon see. Let's hope so as no new DRM receiver should omit such capability.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/6074
Old 26-08-2015, 00:31   #21
tpreitzel

I personally contacted Avion via e-mail about their new receiver. Basically, the potential buyer needs to transfer funds electronically into their company's account in New Delhi which will probably cost the buyer another $50 or so for the transfer. Then, Avion will ship the receiver COD via FedEx at a cost of another $40 or so. The overhead seems to be ~$100 or so on top of the cost of the receiver. Outside India, expect to pay ~ $300 for the new Avion receiver which seems a rational price if the receiver performs well.

Avion needs worldwide distributors and reasonable discounts according to volume for those distributors willing to accept the risk of selling Avion's new receiver.
Old 03-09-2015, 23:52   #22
PhilipOneL

I tried contacting Avion via their webpage contact form but heard nothing back from it. Did they give you an address to contact to buy one?
PhilipOneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16   #23
tpreitzel

Avion DRM Digital Radio DRM-AM-FM-M&M [Electronics] [ASIN: B012GIDF1O]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipOneL
I tried contacting Avion via their webpage contact form but heard nothing back from it. Did they give you an address to contact to buy one?

Avion DRM Digital Radio DRM-AM-FM-M&M [Electronics] [ASIN: B012GIDF1O]

Philip,

CSI didn't give me permission to post their account number publicly, but I'll do it anyway. I'm sure that CSI can handle any problems that might arise from someone misusing this information. CSI would be smart to quickly find distributors and Amazon would be a huge step as Amazon could then handle the financial aspect. Personally, I think the shipping charges will be higher than stated by CSI, but the overall cost for one receiver should be ~ $300.

"Thanks for your valuable enquiry .
1st of all very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you as you could not place order internationally for which our tie ups did not finish due to which you were unable to get it .

Now the best way is to pay my company directly & then i will do you FEDEX to your place .
175 usd for 1 pc + bank charges 20 usd = 195 usd you need to pay us & then Fedex will charge you something around 25-30 usd.
Do let us know.

Thanks,
Team Avion"

"You can pay money directly into below account :-

BANKER'S NAME : UNION BANK OF INDIA
ADDRESS :- D-39, KIRTI NAGAR NEW DELHI-110015
COMPANY NAME & ADDRESS : COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS INC.
9/50-A, KIRTI NAGAR INDL. AREA, NEW DELHI-110015
A/C NO. 532205010133016
IFS CODE : UBIN0553221

Once you have done the electronic transfer then please provide us the receipt for the same booking in our stocks & delivery."

Let me know, Philip, if you buy one direct. Hopefully, this information will help.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 04-09-2015 at 02:00.
Old 06-09-2015, 19:10   #24
PhilipOneL

That is really helpful -- thanks for this information.
I think I will buy one if I can be reasonably assured that I will get it!

Philip
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14   #25
Digger

Not found (7th Sep.)

I also wanted to ask Avion about this receiver but when clicking "BOOK NOW" in Avion's FB page I get "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www.avionelectronics.in.".

Same result today... (8th Sep.)

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html

Last edited by Digger : 08-09-2015 at 03:39.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:20   #26
alokesh

Hi All,

If you are unable to contact thru Avion website or FB page please contact Ankit Agarwal at ankit@avionelectronics.in
Old 08-09-2015, 15:23   #27
PhilipOneL

My mail to ankit@... was returned today with a "No such user" report attached.

I had received a letter from him with basically the same information as yours on Saturday.
Old 09-09-2015, 13:53   #28
alokesh

Please re-send you email, his sever was down for a day as they launched a revamped website.

Have a look at : http://www.avionelectronics.in/
Old 09-09-2015, 15:51   #29
PhilipOneL

Thanks, Alokesh.
Old 29-09-2015, 15:47   #30
Digger

I ordered a DRM receiver from Avion today. I hope they can deliver. The IFS CODE is useless (at least in Sweden) but I got the SWIFT code at last.

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote