DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29-10-2016, 20:50   #46
tpreitzel

I currently haven't indicated interest in PantronX's Titus 2 at hfcc.org because of their use of PayPal. I don't want to leave the impression that I'd actually buy the Titus 2 if PayPal is the only means of acquiring one. I need other financial options. I have no problem buying the Titus 2 or Gospell's new DRM radio, but the mandatory use of PayPal is absolutely out of the question.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:45   #47
mitajohn

Some info about a new multymode receiver 100kHz to 2GHz, here: http://www.radioworld.com/article/pa...olution/280007
Old 19-11-2016, 00:20   #48
Digger

@John:

Thanks for that link. It describes the product pretty well. I saw the Titus II last Sunday in Tokyo and it is really a nice looking product. I was told that the first lot of receivers would be rolled out before the end of the year.

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 16:11   #49
ianf

So sad to see a good DRM consumer receiver has still not made it to market, the Titus II looks the best bet so far, the good old MR soldiers on, you are right about Kickstarter, but someone would have to make a good prototype first, no mean feat
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 22:27   #50
tpreitzel

Ian,

Good to hear from you again. Yeah, the Titus 2 will probably be the best bet for launching DRM to a wider audience. Hopefully, soon you'll be able to offer new reliable and good quality receivers to the European market.
Old 29-01-2017, 20:23   #51
Digger

Selling my 2nd Newstar DR111

Has anyone interest in a Newstar DR111? I have a second unit, so I want to sell this one for USD 50.- plus shipping charges. Updated with the latest firmware and a new back-up battery, original packing and a 5 Volt power supply.

If interested, please contact me over the private messges in this Forum.

Old 23-02-2017, 20:37   #52
tpreitzel

Here's a review of Avion's DR-1401 in German from February of 2016 ... I wish I could understand it!

http://www.addx.org/textarchiv/2016-02-20-23.pdf
Old 23-02-2017, 22:20   #53
Digger

I read it through and most of the article is just a load of bla-ha except for the very last paragraph, where Mr. Kuhl suggests that an external antenna is a must and further software refinement at Avion would be necessary to make a better version of the product.

Still I think that my evaluation in hobbyradio.se shows a more down to earth view of the AV-DR-1401. My advice: Don't buy it. I use mine as a book-end... An expensive book-end.

Old 24-02-2017, 19:58   #54
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
I read it through and most of the article is just a load of bla-ha except for the very last paragraph, where Mr. Kuhl suggests that an external antenna is a must and further software refinement at Avion would be necessary to make a better version of the product.

Still I think that my evaluation in hobbyradio.se shows a more down to earth view of the AV-DR-1401. My advice: Don't buy it. I use mine as a book-end... An expensive book-end.

Thanks, Terje, for your summation of the report.
Old 15-06-2017, 19:37   #55
tpreitzel

A video of the new GR-216 in action. Although the target is NOT China, the receiver is probably within ~ 40 degrees or so of the beam. Other videos from the same author exist for the GR-216 on YouTube from ~ the middle of May of 2017.

I like the wood grain cabinet, but I'd prefer a metallic front panel to match my HDR-18 receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-wMegE9-k

Last edited by tpreitzel : 16-06-2017 at 20:35.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:38   #56
Digger

One DR-111 too much

If anyone has an interest in a Newstar DR-111 I will sell of my second receiver to a very fair price (plus the cost of shipping). I will replace the 3 V Li-battery before shipping. The reason for selling it:

- I only need one
- I'm moving

PS: Noone is interested? Then I have to recycle it....

Last edited by Digger : 17-07-2017 at 11:08.
Old 21-08-2017, 21:00   #57
tpreitzel

Unfortunately, Gospell only currently accepts PayPal for single purchases. Someone needs to recommend a credit card processor for them to use normal debit and credit cards on USA accounts.

In current correspondence with Gospell, the GR-216 now supports 110v
AC input. I've been offered a reasonable price for a lot of 10 receivers. Is there a market out there in the USA for 9 of these receivers at ~ $270 each? It MIGHT be possible to sell the limited production GR-216 at $250, but I'll have to haggle with Gospell to reduce the price somewhat. Do NOT expect to pay less than $250 for a GR-216 at current production rates. This price includes the price to ship the GR-216 within the USA and POSSIBLY Canada. Let me know.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 22-08-2017 at 02:26.
Old 23-08-2017, 02:44   #58
tpreitzel

Here's a breakdown of my analysis of Gospell's offer of $180 per unit in a quantity of 10. Shipping to the USA will be ~ $50 per unit for a total price per unit of $230. Now, add at LEAST an additional $20 to ship the unit to a customer in the continental (lower 48) USA. The total price per unit is now $250. Even if the seller only retains $20 per unit (worth the effort?), the total price per unit is now $270.

Realistically, I don't think the CURRENT market in the USA will support a retail price (includes $20 shipping cost as estimated previously), above $250 for an EXCELLENT performing and reliable DRM receiver as broadcasts are nearly nil. Assuming that the seller will tolerate a return of $20 per unit (doubtful), the cost per unit will have to be NO greater than $160 per unit in a lot of 10 from Gospell.

Realistically, Gospell should lower the per unit price of the GR-216 in lots of 10 to $160 maximum. Then, Gospell should assume all responsibility for warranty, shipping, and returns. Gospell would then open an account for the purchaser of the lot and shipment FROM Gospell in China would then commence once the purchaser gave Gospell the address of a unit's buyer in the USA. Hence, only ONE shipment would be necessary, not two. The purchaser's account would then be debited for each shipped unit from Gospell.

Gospell is pretty close in pricing, but not quite there for the GR-216 to succeed. With a bit more efficiency in production and controlling cost, sales may be slow at first, but should accelerate depending on the quality and performance of the GR-216.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 23-08-2017 at 16:51.
Old 23-08-2017, 16:47   #59
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
If anyone has an interest in a Newstar DR-111 I will sell of my second receiver to a very fair price (plus the cost of shipping). I will replace the 3 V Li-battery before shipping. The reason for selling it:

- I only need one
- I'm moving

PS: Noone is interested? Then I have to recycle it....

Terje,

Don't recycle it. Personally, I'd keep it since few were made. Someday it might be worth some money for a museum.

If you must get rid of it, send me a private e-mail. I really don't need it, either, but I don't want it recycled.
Old 23-08-2017, 17:41   #60
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Terje,

If you must get rid of it, ... but I don't want it recycled.

Tom,
I have two offers - not because of the money, but I really don't want to chuck it out either... it is not November yet...